My Job Search – Tough decisions

My Job Search – Tough decisions

Normally I save this for after I right this post, but its 6AM on a Saturday morning, I can’t sleep, and to be honest I have been a reck the last few days trying to figure out what to do with my career so I apologize up front for the babbling non-sense that follows.

A while ago I decided that I should start looking for a job, primary reason is that I thought I was pretty severely under paid and being 27 years old with all of those compounding years ahead of me, every extra dollar that I can make at this age is just crucial to the quality of retirement and financial freedom I will have down the road. I’d send a link to my chart about the about the cost of waiting one more year to save for retirement, but as I’ve been called out that is not a realistic chart because I don’t account for taxes and inflation. I agree with that assumption, but I have a delusion that I can beat the market somehow and well it’s a still a good motivator for me to save more than it is a false sense of security that I have saved enough.

So anyway I started by job hunt and sent my resumes to a handful of companies in the area. Turns out I got an interview with every single one of the companies and subsequently an offer from every single one of the companies, all for $10,000 – $16,000 more a year than I am making now and some of the places when I add in the full benefits package results in another $5,000 to $10,000 difference in cost of bennies at my current employer. So all in all on average I am looking to make a roughly $20,000 increase in my cash flow before taxes. So I guess I was right.

Where is the dilemma you ask? Well I can’t make up my mind as to which offer I should accept if any of them. Are you nuts you may ask? Yes!! You see as usual there is a hesitation to make the jump to a new job because well to be honest you get in a comfort zone at your current job and you never know what is around the corner at the new job, to be honest I don’t think this is the primary reason I am like a deer staring into headlight (not sure if that’s a saying used outside of Wisconsin, but I’m going with it). I honestly can’t make a decision right now and I think I’ve got some legitimate reasons as to why I can’t make up my mind so I figured maybe laying out all my options out here would hopefully clear something up for me. Those options will be identified in individual posts as to make this huge babbling foolishness of mine some what reasonable.

Note this post is part of a series