Browsed by
Month: April 2010

My Top 15 Holdings – March 2010

My Top 15 Holdings – March 2010

I’ve never really discussed any of the investments that I have before, but on occasion I do get asked what I am invested in and thought this might be useful for me as a learning tool as I look back in time. This list is probably something I will only update once a year as it probably won’t change much.

Anyway these are my top 15 holdings in my various retirement accounts as of March 2010 and the percentage of my portfolio that is invested in them. Currently these top 15 holdings make up 75%+ of my portfolio – although I do have about 45 other smaller investments that make up the remaining 25%. As you can see the top 3 holdings are mutual funds that I hold in my 401k account – the rest with the exception of UMBIX are individual stocks. I in no way condone this type of investing and highly recommend that most people just stick their money in a low cost no-load index fund or lifestyle fund.

REREX 24.00%
VPMCX 15.04%
VEXMX 10.49%
BRK.B 4.29%
DLB 3.96%
QSII 3.13%
BWLD 2.99%
UMBIX 2.76%
NFLX 2.68%
SNS BH 2.03%
ATVI 1.82%
UNT 1.17%
PCAR 1.09%
CSE 1.08%
SBUX 0.98%
UA 0.91%
Retirement Nestegg Report – March 2010

Retirement Nestegg Report – March 2010

I am actually kind of stunned at how fast my nest egg has been growing of late. It wasn’t too long ago I just passed $100k and now I’m 1/3rd of the way to $200k. In fact just 13 months ago my retirement nestegg was sitting at a measly $59k and the best part is the market is doing all of the hard work for me. My contributions have slowed down pretty considerably lately since we are saving for a new house and yet my nestegg is ballooning. This is directly related to the extra money I invested when the market was tanking and just shows the power of consistently investing money in the market over time and over the long term – good things are likely to happen.

Something new this month that I realized wasn’t too hard to include is my investment performance against the SP500 each month. This will exclude any contributions that I made this month and show the true reason my accounts are rising or falling and whether or not my personal decision not to just buy index funds is a worthwhile effort. I went and updated the previous reports and so far in 2010 I am beating the SP500 by 11.83% 1.29% (mistakingly included 401k vesting berfore) I also calculated my performance for last year and last year I beat the SP500 by 9.26% 6.29% so I must be doing something right. Anyway here is this month’s report.

Traditional Rollover IRA – $12,030.93 (+9.77%)
My Roth IRA – $35,478.99 (+5.06%)
Wife Roth IRA – $19,387.04 (+3.88%)
Current Traditional 401k – $65,569.25 (+11.57%)

Roth/Traditional % = 41.42% (tax free)

Total Retirement Nest Egg $132,466.21 (+8.43%)

Monthly Contributions $3,021.70 (401k)
SPY Performance +4.19% 5.65% (forgot dividend)
My Monthly Investment Performance +5.96% (+0.31%)
My Monthly Individual Stock Performance +5.53% (-0.12%)