Well I’ve been doing a lot of interviewing lately and I’m starting to realize now that I’m worried less about the interview questions that the employer will spring on me than I am trying to come up with good questions for the person interviewing me to help me learn more about them and their company.
You see the place I am working at right now really isn’t the worst place in the world so in order for me to make a move I really want to know that the company I am going to is going to be a very good fit for me. So I’ve been asking all kinds of questions about expected work hours, flexible schedules, team environment, etc. Unfortunately I rarely prepare a whole lot when I go into an interview and it often ends up being an “off the cuff” conversation and many times I forget to ask some of important questions.
So what I’ve decided to do is sort of come up with a list of interview questions that I can bring with me to my interviews to make sure I get all my basis covered and can properly distinguish between the various companies that want to hire me. Of course the only reason I’m doing this on my blog is because I want YOUR help in coming up with a comprehensive list. 😉
- What is the salary range for this position?
- Is there any kind of bonus program?
- If yes how are bonuses calculated?
- Do you offer a 401k plan?
- Do you offer a Roth 401k option?
- Does the company match any contributions?
- What investment options are there (prolly save for later in the process)
- If publically traded company do you have an ESOP?
- Is there any discount on purchases?
- Do you have any kind of pension plan?
- Do you offer Flexible Spending accounts?
- What does your health insurance plan look like?
- What kind of compensation increases can I expect in the first few years?
- What does a standard work week look like (hours?)
- Do you offer flexible work hours?
- Do you offer company paid training?
- How often is performance evaluated and how?
- What kind of computer equipment/software will I have?
- What do you like the most about working here?
- Can you describe your ideal employee for this position?
- Is there any travel required for this position?
- Why are you hiring for this position?
- What will be the most difficult part of this job?
- How much lee-way will I have in deciding what I will be working on and how to solve the tasks at hand?
- What are the long term options for someone in this position?